Thursday 17 December 2009

Nearly there

P1080297 P1080295 P1080296

I really need that motor now – fingers crossed it arrives today in the post.

As you can see, with the assistance of a hairdryer I painted the firebox matt black yesterday allowing me to install the backhead fittings.  Beforehand I had a go at weathering and distressing it, firstly partly scraping off the black paint and then adding another mist coat of black over the top.  This gave the impression of peeling paint in some small areas.  Then I rubbed parts of it down with a fibreglass brush to break up the uniformity of the black.  Then I dry brushed on two different rust colours and also some acrylic black (no two blacks are the same) to further add to the effect.  It looks good I think.  I also painted the brass gauge glasses with a few coats of acrylic white and then some ‘liquid glass’ on top to give the glassy effect.  Finally a gauge glass was printed out and installed on the pressure gauge.

Other progress has included: finishing the rods, installing the turned handrails, adding the blower union to the front of the saddle tank and preparing the dummy inside motion and brake blocks.

All that remains to do is:

- Install the cab rear

- Install the motor(!) and rear frame spacer…this allows me to finish the…dummy inside motion, brake gear, springs etc

- Add the reverser rod

- Add the firebox lower sides around the motor.

Then it’s painting followed by coal in the bunker, nameplates and various copper and brass piping.  Then it’s time to install the radio control equipment.

Hopefully it will be ready to be shown at the Hunslet 101 event at the National garden railway show in April; see http://www.16mm.org.uk/nationalshow2010.htm

Colin

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment