Tuesday 15 December 2009

Looking like an engine now

P1080281 P1080282

(note: due to the compensation on the chassis it leans forward at the moment, so my hand is there to show it sitting correctly.)

The engine is really coming on now.  The following have been added:

- Wheels in their axleboxes, compensation beam in and retaining plates to keep the axleboxes from falling out (8 x 10BA screws keep them in!)

- Steam pipe casting to side of smokebox

- Buffers

- Cab sides and bunker, plus coal hatch.

- Cranks and rear crankpins

- The handbrake has been put together but not finally assembled (note it is just placed on the model above and so is shown leaning)

and the slidebars and cylinder covers have been filed and fiddled with until they slide nicely.  These are ready for installation, as are the rods, which have been reamed to take the crankpin bushes.  Tonight I hope to install all this.

The rear of the cab has also been folded up ready and can be installed soon.

The resin firebox really needs painting before I install the controls.  Being resin the instructions suggest just a light spray of black, so if we get any dry(!) weather I’ll give that a go so I can install the backhead fittings.

I’m really pleased with it – did I really build this?

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment