Friday 22 January 2010

De Winton again

P1080491

I have now completed the De Winton to the point where spraying with a base coat of satin black would make sense.  Then I can add all the brass parts without worrying about having to mask them off for later spraying. 

Various white metal fittings have thus been added (bits that go black basically – chimney, steam pipe, reverser base etc) and the coupling pockets have been added too.  All relevant holes were drilled out of the resin castings too.

In the background (i.e. until it stops raining and I can spray the body) I have also been sorting through the various parts, drilling out, filing and generally readying everything. 

This went well until a 1.5mm drill broke halfway through drilling out the hole for the piston rod hole in the slide bar piece.  After various attempts at drilling it, punching it etc it just wouldn’t budge.  So I ended up taking a piercing saw and cutting around the offending drill bit, leaving it proud of the surface (luckily I was able to do this without causing future problems for its installation).  Then I was able to hammer it out.  phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment